« Home | The Basics, Baby! » | Kombucha Martini » | Bold with a Bite » | The Perfect Kombucha Container » | Holy Culture, Batman! » | The Right Stuff » | Latest Brew Update » | The Taste » | Yummy Brew! » | Kombucha Review #1: GT's Mystic Mango » 

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 

Exploding Kombucha!!!

Now, I have never heard of this problem before, but then again, I always store my kombucha in the fridge. Apparently some brewers experience the rare case of exploding kombucha. Sounds kind of scary, doesn't it? A lot of kombucha folk store their brew at room temperature after it has finished fermenting. This is because it continues to ferment after it has finished and cooling in the fridge slows down that process.

In warmer climates, the kombucha ferments at a faster rate, and this causes more pressure to build up within stored kombucha bottles. If the pressure isn't released daily, it can lead to disastrously explosive results!

My solution is just what I've been doing all along. Storing my kombucha in the fridge. I've never had a problem with it before. In colder climates when the house is cold, instead of storing my kombucha at room temp to continue brewing, I will just let it brew a bit longer. I prefer my kombucha to be chilled, anyway.

excellent!

oh Shiva in a burning nimbus ~ this happened to me just this past saturday at 5:42 in the freakin' morning! i won't get into all the particulars, but my mum woke me up in alarm, as it woke HER up. she said there was this loud BANG! i had this one batch waiting for me [just under a week old:(] in a one-litre pyrex bottle that i had used for a solid five months without any funny shtuff and it burst into five big pieces THAT day! the bottom got blown out in a perfect circle! curses, kombucha.co.uk for telling people to let it sit bottled in room temperature for 5+ days ["maturing/mellowing {my arse!!!!}"]! anyway, cool.... i thought that this might've been unprecedented.

Post a Comment