« Home | Yummy Juice Mix! » | Mountain Biking, Cats and Multi-Green » | Rawgetarian Sushi! » | A Slight Mishap » | The Cool Down » | The Case of the Monster Kombucha Baby » | Bubbly Brew » | Exploding Kombucha!!! » | The Basics, Baby! » | Kombucha Martini » 

Monday, July 31, 2006 

Kombucha Salsa!

Hot! I bought a new KitchenAide food processor to aide in my raw food preperation last week and I had to try it out. I ended up making a batch of salsa the very night I brought it home. Now, I usually use vinegar in making salsa...it is a normal component of this zesty dip. However the only vinegar we have at home is balsamic, which is not the best taste for this spicy treat.

Joe being the genius he is (post modern or otherwise), suggested I use kombucha in the recipe. My latest kombucha brew was on the vinegary side so he figured it would be a good substitute for apple cider vinegar. They are also both very similar in taste.

I have never really thought about using kombucha in food recipes before, but I must say that the salsa turned out wonderfully! I actually like to drink my kombucha with some food so making it a part of a dish is a great way to have your daily intake!

I know there are some strange "kombucha bread" recipes out there, but I have never tried them. For one, I am a raw foodist and I don't often eat bread. For two, most bread you have to bake at a high temperature and it seems any raw aspect of the kombucha would be killed. It is my guess that the kombucha would loose a lot of its beneficial properties if it was heated to the point of killing off all those probiotics. So, adding kombucha to a dish which you do not have to cook is the way to go. Some other foods that I think kombucha would be good if added to are: salad dressings, dips, spreads, and smoothies.