« Home | The Case of the Monster Kombucha Baby » | Bubbly Brew » | Exploding Kombucha!!! » | The Basics, Baby! » | Kombucha Martini » | Bold with a Bite » | The Perfect Kombucha Container » | Holy Culture, Batman! » | The Right Stuff » | Latest Brew Update » 

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 

The Cool Down

I have found out that a good way to cool down kombucha is to actually not use as much water during the brewing process. On my next brew, I am going to only boil 1/2 as much water. After the tea has steeped, I'm going to add the rest in as cold or at room temperature. This should cool down the tea mixture much faster!

I was having to let my tea sit and cool for at least a few hours before I could start the fermentation process. If the temperature of the tea is too hot, it will kill the kombucha culture. So this will definitely cut down on my prep time as well as make for a higher quality brew. I have heard that letting the tea mixture cool down for long periods can inhibit the culture growth. Perhaps this will make my brew ferment faster as well?